Untitled Script

*This is a continuation of the meet-cute scene I previously published*

Scene 1

(Christian and Jesse walk into a coffee shop carrying laptops that they set down on a table)

CHRISTIAN
Hey man, I'll sit here while you order the drinks.
JESSE
Ya sure, what do you want?
CHRISTIAN
Just get me a house pour over.
JESSE
Okay, I'll be back in a few.  Can you plug my laptop in for me?
CHRISTIAN
No problem.

Jesse walks over to the line where he stands behind a brunette girl named Jessica.  Jessica begins to place her drink order.

JESSE
Hi! May I please get a house pour over for here? And I won't need any milk or creamer.
BARISTA
Sure that will be $3.75, can I get a name for that order?
JESSICA
Jesse.

Jesse looks up from his phone confusedly, but coming to the realization that no one was talking to him he looks back down at his phone.

BARISTA
Okay, that'll be ready over there in just a few minutes, the pour overs takes a bit.
JESSICA
No worries!
Jessica hands the barista the money, and walks back over to her table.  She pulls a book out and begins to read.  Meanwhile, Jesse places his order and walks back to Christian with his own drink in hand because he got a drip which was ready immediately.

CHRISTIAN
Jess that girl over there is kind of cute.  You should go talk to her.
JESSE
If you think she’s cute, why don’t you go talk to her
CHRISTIAN
Well, as you know I am somewhat attached.
JESSE
Dude you are delusional.  Your relationship with Kelly is so one sided.
CHRISTIAN
Well it won’t be soon because I have a plan to win her over.
JESSE (rolls his eyes)
Whatever man.  Even if I did want to go to her, we do not have any time.  We need to finish this project or we are beyond screwed.
CHRISTIAN
Ya, you're right.  Let's get this over with.
BARISTA
I have a house pour over ready at the bar for Jesse!
JESSE
I got it, you get started on the work.

(Both Jessica and Jesse stand up to grab the coffee at the bar, but since Jessica is on her phone while grabbing it, and Jesse is looking back at Christian to make sure he is getting started neither is paying attention.  They go for it at the same time consequently knocking the drink over.  It spills on Jessica's hand)

JESSICA
Shit!
JESSE
Jesus, I am so sorry I thought they called my name.  Fuck, that looks like it really hurts.
JESSICA
Of course it hurts, I had scalding coffee poured on my skin.
JESSE
Here let me help you. (Directed at the barista) Hey do you guys have any burn cream?
BARISTA
Ya, just one second.
JESSICA
I am going to go ask for some ice.
JESSE
Wait! That's going to make it a lot worse, don't put ice on it.
JESSICA(sarcastically)
Jeez, fine doctor. But it really really hurts
JESSE
I know, but I have training in this, I know it will make it way worse if you put ice on it.
JESSICA (She raises her eyebrow)
Really? What kind of training?

(The barista hands Jesse the burn cream, and Jessica leads Jesse to her table)

JESSE
I'm in med school at UCLA right now.

(Jesse applies some on her hand while they continue to talk)

JESSICA
Oh cool, I'm actually reading a book for one of my classes there right now.
JESSE
What are you studying?
JESSICA
I am studying English, but am applying to some law schools right now.
JESSE
Jesus, I could never do that.  I am happy to say I haven’t written an essay on a novel in ages.  Well, that cream should help a lot.  You should probably get that checked again in a few days to ensure it is healing properly.  So, I mean, you could probably call an actual doctor who has finished med school, but why not call me instead so I can check out your hand again to see if it healing properly.  Say, maybe this Friday night?
JESSICA (laughs)
I mean, ya who needs a fully educated doctor when I can just have you check it, while buying me dinner.  I really can't argue with that, let me see your phone?

(Jesse hands Jessica his phone)

JESSE
And who will I be having dinner with this Friday?
JESSICA
My names is Jessica, but my friends call me Jesse.
JESSE
Wow, that makes so much more sense why we went to the counter at the same time.  My name is Jesse, it was nice to meet you.
JESSICA (laughs)
It'll be best if you just called me Jessica, I wasn't really counting on being friends with you anyway.  I'll see you Friday, but I have to get back to studying now because I have been procrastinating this assignment for way to long. It was nice meeting you!
JESSE
Bye!

(Jesse walks back to his table and Jessica gets back to reading)

CHRISTIAN
So you did have time to talk to her.
JESSE (looking back at her and smiling)
Ya, I guess I did.

Scene 2

Friday is here and Jessica is in her apartment running around getting ready in a hurry.  She forgot she had a late class on fridays and has been hurriedly making herself date ready for the past twenty minutes.

Jessica is on the phone scolding herself as she vents to her friend about how she lost track of time and is now in a hurry.

JESSICA
Ellie I am freaking out.  He is gonna be here in twenty minutes and only half of my hair is curled.
ELLIE
Girl, everything is going to be fine.  He will understand if he gets there and you need a few extra minutes. It happens
JESSICA
But not to me! I am annoyingly on time for everything you know that.
ELLIE
Yes, but being a tad bit late for once will not kill you or him.  Just breathe.
JESSICA
How do I have time for breathing, when I barely have time to put on shoes.
ELLIE
Seriously, stop for two seconds and breathe or else you will have a panic attack.
JESSICA (Ignores Ellie completely)
There.  Last curl is completed and my makeup is done.  Now I have just five minutes to find an outfit.
ELLIE (laughs)
It’s going to take you ten minutes alone to pick out a bra to wear, and you won’t even let him see your bra on the first date.
JESSICA
Oh, shut up.  I am just going to wear my black jumpsuit.  That way I can leave a denim jacket by the door just in case I need to dress it down once I see how he is dressed.
ELLIE (laughs)
You are so paranoid, but such a genius at the same time.  I love it.
JESSICA (smiles)
I know you do.  I am gonna let you go know, I think I hear footsteps coming from the hall.  I’ll text you when I get home.  Bye, Ellie!
ELLIE
Bye, good luck!

Jessica hangs up her phone and just seconds later she hears a knock on the door.  She walks to the door to find Jesse dressed in black pants and an untucked white button down.  She sighs in relief because she dressed perfectly.

JESSE
Hey Jessica
JESSICA
Hey Jesse, how are you?
JESSE
I’m great, are you ready?
JESSICA (smiles)
Yep, let’s go!

Jessica closes the door, and locks it with a finalizing click.

JESSE
You look beautiful tonight.
JESSICA
You are so sweet thank you.  Where are we going?
JESSE
My favorite italian restaurant downtown. It’s kind of near Melrose, it’s called Mozzafiato.
JESSICA
Now I have really high expectations.  I mean not only is it your favorite restaurant, but it is also called ‘breathtaking’.
JESSE (laughs)
Is that really what it translates to?
JESSICA (laughs)
I do remember very little from my two semesters in Italian, but I do remember that word because I loved the way it sounded.

Jesse opens the car door for Jessica, and she climbs in.  He shuts the door then climbs into the driver’s side and starts driving.

JESSE
I fully confident that you will love this place, no matter how high your expectations are so be ready.
JESSICA
I’ll do my best to mentally prepare myself on our way over.  So, how did that project go that you were working on with your friend?
JESSE
Really well, thank God.  I think I ended up getting an hour of sleep that night, but definitely worth it.  That should carry me to the end of the semester if I continue to do decent on the rest of my assignments.
JESSICA
That’s awesome.  That’s honestly probably one of the best feelings.
JESSE (laughs)
Agreed.

Jesse pulls up to the side of the street and parks.  He walks to the other side of the car and opens the door for Jessica.  He puts money into the meter, and take Jessica’s hand leading her in the direction of the restaurant. They arrive to the front of the restaurant and if he hadn’t led her right up to the door she would have missed it.  The outside had a small sign that read Mozzafiato in soft yellow lights, and off the sign were the prettiest purple flowers hanging down.  He opens the door for her and takes her down a long hallway that opened into an outdoor area with only about ten tables.  The places was covered in purple flowers and twinkling lights.

JESSICA
Wow, this is beyond beautiful how did you find this place?

The hostess leads them to an open table in the corner of the small area.

JESSE
In high school, my family moved to Los Angeles because my dad had to transfer to a different office for his promotion, and every year on each of our birthday’s we would come here because his boss recommended this place to us.
JESSICA
That’s so sweet.  Do your parents still live around here?
JESSE
No, they actually decided to move back up to Northern California because my dad wanted to live where he grew up.  As soon as a position opened up at his old office, he took it.  How about you, did you grow up around here?
JESSICA
No, I am actually from a tiny town in Washington.  My mom still lives in the same house I grew up in, but after my parents divorced my dad moved to Seattle.  I miss it sometimes because it can get stupid hot down here, but it is a really nice change of pace.  I love being able to meet new people everywhere, as opposed to living in a small town where one new person come every ten years (laughs).

A waiter walks up to them smiling, and Jesse stands up to hug him.

JESSE
Hey Steve how are you?
STEVE
I am great, I haven’t seen you in a while.  How’s the family?
JESSE
We are all really well.
STEVE
Good! And who did you bring with you tonight?
JESSE
Steve, this is Jessica.  Jessica this is Steve.  He is an old family friend of ours, he serves us everytime we come here.
STEVE
It is so nice to meet you, I rarely see Jesse come in with anyone but his family.
JESSICA
It’s really nice to meet you too.
STEVE
So, can I get you folks anything to drink?  We have a new chardonnay I highly recommend.
JESSE
That sounds good to me, what would you like Jessica?
JESSICA
I’ll take the same as well thank you Steve.
STEVE
Perfect.  Just to let you guys know the fish of the day is a fresh grilled salmon in a lemon sauce on a bed of asparagus.

Steve walks away to give them time to look at the menu.

JESSICA
So, since you have been coming here forever I assume you are the expert of this place.  Do you recommend anything in particular?
JESSE (laughs)
I am so lame, I literally order the same thing every time.  I always get the Mushroom Risotto and add chicken.
JESSICA (laughs)
You’re right that is lame.  You have been coming here for ten year and you order the same thing everytime.
JESSE
Hey, if you know it’s good why mess with that.
JESSICA (still laughing)
I mean I guess, but that’s still lame.
JESSE
Whatever.  So, I know you’re an English major, but did you decide on that because you wanted to be a lawyer?  Or did you find that out later?
JESSICA
Well, in high school I always loved reading.  Whether it be the assigned books, or ones I read outside of class.  I just loved reading then analyzing the work.  As for becoming a lawyer I am super argumentative and stubborn so it seemed like the perfect job for me.  What about you?
JESSE
When I got into college I wasn’t sure if I wanted to do kinesiology to become a physical therapist or biology to become a doctor.  I ultimately decided on doctor because I realized I only thought I wanted to be a physical therapist.  All my friends and I played soccer and that was basically the go to job for all athletes.  It was a way to stay in sports, without really being in sports.
JESSICA
Oh my god I played soccer too! What position were you?
JESSE
Most of the time I played center forward, but sometimes they would throw me in goal.
JESSICA
I played center defense.  How long did you play for?

Steve walks back to the table

STEVE
Sorry to interrupt, here are the two glasses of wine for you guys.  Would you like another minute to look at the menu, or are you guys ready?
JESSICA
I am ready, are you?
JESSE
Yep!
STEVE
Perfect, ladies first?
JESSICA
May I please get the pasta carbonara?
JESSE
And I’ll get the usual.

Steve takes the menus

STEVE
Perfect, I will go let the kitchen know. Thank you!
JESSE
To answer you, I played soccer from the age of five until about nineteen or twenty years old.  I played for a year when I got to UCLA, but my grades were suffering so I quit the team.
JESSICA
Do you miss it?
JESSE
Ya, but college definitely wasn’t the same as club soccer growing up.  The club team I was on was a huge family I loved it.
JESSICA
I get what you mean, I quit soccer after I graduated cause I knew it wouldn’t be the same anymore.  So instead of playing soccer when I got to college, I decided to get a job to fill my time outside of class and I have actually been working that same job till this day.
JESSE
That’s so cool, where do you work?
JESSICA
I work as a waiter over at the french restaurant kind of close to campus.  It’s called Julietta’s Cafe, a ton of students work there.
JESSE
Oh yeah, I’ve heard of that place! I think I remember someone telling me they worked there.  I didn’t get a job until after finishing my bachelor’s, but I’ve had this job for about a year now I think.  I work at a small coffee shop about ten minutes from campus.  Super chill environment and really easy work which I like, since school is stressful enough on its’ own.
JESSICA
Ya, it can be a lot to balance.  Right now on top of my school work I have been studying like crazy for the LSAT.  This is the first time my nose has not been in a book in ages (laughs).
JESSE (laughs)
I feel honoured to have been able to take you away from your studies for a short period of time.
JESSICA
Ya, it’s like when I am not thinking of literature, I am thinking about this stupid test.  The amount of times I have thought about dropping out is unreal.
JESSE
I can definitely relate.

Steve comes back with the food.

STEVE
Okay I have the pasta carbonara and the mushroom risotto with chicken. Would either of you like some parmesan cheese?
JESSE AND JESSICA
Yes please!
STEVE (laughs)
I’ll be right back with some

Comes back with cheese and grates it onto their dishes.

STEVE
Is there anything else I can grab the two of you?
JESSE
I am okay, you?
JESSICA
This is perfect, thank you!
STEVE
Enjoy your meal!

Steve walks away and the two begin to eat.
Jessica’s phone rings.

JESSICA
I am so sorry, I am just going to make sure it isn’t an emergency or anything one sec.
JESSE
Ya, no worries of course.

Jessica opens the messages and stares at her phone in shock.

JESSE
Is everything alright?
JESSICA
My mom just texted me that my sister went into labor!
JESSE
Oh my god! That’s amazing, let me drive you to the hospital.
JESSICA
Oh my god no I could not ask you to do that.  I can just get an uber or something.

She says this as she hurriedly gets her purse.

JESSE
Really it’s no trouble at all, I can get you there faster anyway.  Which hospital are we going to?

Jesse leaves cash on the table and grabs Jessica’s bag and he leads her out of the restaurant in a hurry.

JESSICA
Her doctor is at UCLA med.  I think her name is Dr. Lloyd

Jesse freezes for a second.

JESSICA
Hey you okay?
JESSE
Ya, I just thought I recognized that name from somewhere.  Probably just misremembering or something.

Jesse helps her into the car.  Jesse closes the door and composes himself because he hasn’t spoken to his sister(Dr. Lloyd or Annie) in over a year.  It has not yet been revealed to Jessica that they are related and he hopes to keep it this way.  He does not want to reveal the insane drama between him and his sister to Jessica in fear he may scare her off. He gets in the car and they drive off into the distance.





Comments

Popular Posts